Blue Ribbon Recipe
We added the optional eggplant... and absolutely loved it! The seasoning in this recipe is perfection. The Test Kitchen
1/4-1/2 csalt pork, I do the 1/2 c
1 1/2 lbmeat; ground beef, turkey mix w/ Italian sausage, etc; your choice
1/2-1 mediumonion chopped
2 clovefresh garlic
12 oz can(s)tomato paste
1 TbspItallian seasoning
1 Tbspbasil, dried
1 Tbsporegano, dried
1-2 Tbspwhite Karo syrup to taste
1 pkgsliced mushrooms, fresh are better
1/2 mediumeggplant, sliced and quartered. you can leave this out.
How to Make Maw's Spaghetti
- Render out salt pork until well done. Remove from pan and set aside. Don't eat them all cause you will be tempted. (Render= to try out oil from fat, blubber, etc., by melting.)
- Add to hot skillet - 1/2 to 1 large chopped onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic until just translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook just until the pink is gone. Strain grease. Return meat to pan and add the Karo Syrup, In the meantime.....
- Add the large can of tomato paste and fill can 2x with water. Heat until well dissolved. Add the oregano, basil, parsley, and Italian seasoning. I like a lot of flavor so I add a large heaping TBSP of each.
- Simmer 30-40 minutes.
- 10-15 minutes before done, add the eggplant and fresh mushrooms. Stir in and do not overcook. Right before turning off, add the salt pork. Serve immediately. Yum.