Macaroni Supper Casserole1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 2 c
- macaroni, elbow
- 2 Tbsp
- corn oil
- 3 c
- pearl onions, whole
- 1 large
- garlic clove, crushed
- 16 oz
- tomatoes, canned whole and undrained
- 2 tsp
- 6 oz
- tomato paste
- 16 oz
- cottage cheese
- 19 oz
- spinach, chopped
- 3 c
- cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp
- sage, ground
How to Make Macaroni Supper Casserole
- 1Gradually add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt to rapidly boiling water so water continues to boil.
- 2Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender; drain in colander.
- 3Heat oil in large saucepan; add onions and garlic; saute over medium heat, stirring constantly, until onions are almost tender, about 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in undrained tomatoes; break up tomatoes with spoon.
- 5Stir in sugar, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 6Beat eggs in a bowl until light; stir in cottage cheese, spinach, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sage and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well.
- 7In an ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish, arrange in layers; a third of the tomato sauce, half the macaroni, a third of the cheddar cheese and half the spinach mixture.
- 8Repeat layering; spread the remaining sauce on the spinach layer and sprinkle the remaining cheese around the edges of the casserole.
- 9Cover with foil and bake in preheated 400 oven 25 minutes; uncover and bake 5 minutes longer, or until mixture is hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.