Macaroni Supper Casserole1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 cmacaroni, elbow
2 Tbspcorn oil
3 cpearl onions, whole
1 largegarlic clove, crushed
16 oztomatoes, canned whole and undrained
6 oztomato paste
16 ozcottage cheese
19 ozspinach, chopped
3 ccheddar cheese, grated
1 tspsage, ground
How to Make Macaroni Supper Casserole
- Gradually add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt to rapidly boiling water so water continues to boil.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender; drain in colander.
- Heat oil in large saucepan; add onions and garlic; saute over medium heat, stirring constantly, until onions are almost tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes; break up tomatoes with spoon.
- Stir in sugar, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Beat eggs in a bowl until light; stir in cottage cheese, spinach, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sage and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well.
- In an ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish, arrange in layers; a third of the tomato sauce, half the macaroni, a third of the cheddar cheese and half the spinach mixture.
- Repeat layering; spread the remaining sauce on the spinach layer and sprinkle the remaining cheese around the edges of the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated 400 oven 25 minutes; uncover and bake 5 minutes longer, or until mixture is hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.