Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
1 lbchoice of pasta, elbows or corkscrew
1 headbroccoli, cut into florets
1 smallonion, finely chopped
1 clovegarlic, finely chopped
·salt and pepper to taste
1 tspdry mustard powder
3-1/2 cgrated cheddar cheese
How to Make Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring pot of water to a boil. Generously salt. Cook the pasta until al dente, adding broccoli to pasta water after the pasta has cooked for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add 3 Tablespoons butter to a skillet over medium heat. When butter melts, add onion and garlic. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine to make a roux. Continue to cook and stir the roux about 3 to 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk, making sure to incorporate the roux into the milk. Continue to whisk mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking frequently, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and dry mustard powder.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in 3 cups cheddar. Add drained pasta and broccoli to skillet. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to buttered baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.