Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 1 lb
- choice of pasta, elbows or corkscrew
- 1 head
- broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 small
- onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- 4 c
- 1 pinch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp
- dry mustard powder
- 3-1/2 c
- grated cheddar cheese
How to Make Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Bring pot of water to a boil. Generously salt. Cook the pasta until al dente, adding broccoli to pasta water after the pasta has cooked for 5 minutes. Drain.
- 3Add 3 Tablespoons butter to a skillet over medium heat. When butter melts, add onion and garlic. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine to make a roux. Continue to cook and stir the roux about 3 to 3 minutes.
- 4Gradually whisk in milk, making sure to incorporate the roux into the milk. Continue to whisk mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking frequently, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and dry mustard powder.
- 5Remove pan from heat. Stir in 3 cups cheddar. Add drained pasta and broccoli to skillet. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- 6Transfer to buttered baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.