★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 Tbspbutter (no margarine)
1/4 cflour, all-purpose
4 cmilk, preheated
1 tspprepared mustard
1 lbmacaroni, cooked al dente
1 lbsharp cheddar cheese (yellow), shredded
How to Make Macaroni & Cheese (no velveeta please)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, stir in flour until smooth.
- Cook, stirring over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk until smooth and continue to cook until it boils.
- Lower heat and cook until thick and smooth (about 10 minutes).
- Season with mustard, salt and pepper.
- In a greased (or cooking sprayed) casserole dish, combine pasta, 3 cups of cheese and sauce; mix well.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.