Lasagna Casserole (healthier version!)
Fresh ground flaxseed is helpful in lowering cholesterol. The key to flax is to grind it as you need it because it loses its cholesterol lowering properties as it ages and whole flaxseed can pass through your system without ever being useful. You can always omit the ground flaxseed if you like. It won't change the taste!
- 1 lb
- ground turkey or 12 oz pkg of meatless crumbles (i use boca brand)
- 1/4 c
- chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp
- salt-free seasoning (like mrs. dash)
- 13 1/4 oz
- box whole wheat rotini
- 2 c
- fat-free mozzarella, shredded
- 24 oz
- cottage cheese, lowfat
- egg whites
- 1/3 c
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp
- dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh ground flaxseed (optional)
- 26 oz
- low-sodium spaghetti sauce
How to Make Lasagna Casserole (healthier version!)
- 1Brown ground turkey and onion with a little bit of water in a skillet; add salt-free seasoning. When browned, drain and set aside. (If using meatless crumbles, heat per package directions and add onion.)
- 2Prepare rotini according to package direction but omit salt and oil. Drain well; pour into large bowl.
- 3To rotini add 1 c. mozzarella, cottage cheese, egg whites, parmesan, parsley flakes, and flaxseed. Mix well. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- 4Pour browned turkey on top of rotini mixture, do not stir. Top w/ jar of spaghetti sauce, do not stir. Dish will be full. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- 5Remove foil; add remaining cup of mozzarella. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 6Nutritional Info: per serving with meatless crumbles
Total Fat: 9.2 g / Sat fat: 5.2g
Total Carbs: 42.7g / Dietary fiber: 7g / Sugars: 2.2g
With ground turkey:
Total fat: 17.3g / Sat fat: 17.1g
Total carbs: 47.2g / Dietary fiber: 6.8g / Sugars: 9.2g