Lasagna Casserole (healthier version!)
Fresh ground flaxseed is helpful in lowering cholesterol. The key to flax is to grind it as you need it because it loses its cholesterol lowering properties as it ages and whole flaxseed can pass through your system without ever being useful. You can always omit the ground flaxseed if you like. It won't change the taste!
1 lbground turkey or 12 oz pkg of meatless crumbles (i use boca brand)
1/4 cchopped onion
1/2 tspsalt-free seasoning (like mrs. dash)
13 1/4 ozbox whole wheat rotini
2 cfat-free mozzarella, shredded
24 ozcottage cheese, lowfat
1/3 cparmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbspdried parsley flakes
1 Tbspfresh ground flaxseed (optional)
26 ozlow-sodium spaghetti sauce
How to Make Lasagna Casserole (healthier version!)
- Brown ground turkey and onion with a little bit of water in a skillet; add salt-free seasoning. When browned, drain and set aside. (If using meatless crumbles, heat per package directions and add onion.)
- Prepare rotini according to package direction but omit salt and oil. Drain well; pour into large bowl.
- To rotini add 1 c. mozzarella, cottage cheese, egg whites, parmesan, parsley flakes, and flaxseed. Mix well. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Pour browned turkey on top of rotini mixture, do not stir. Top w/ jar of spaghetti sauce, do not stir. Dish will be full. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil; add remaining cup of mozzarella. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Nutritional Info: per serving with meatless crumbles
Total Fat: 9.2 g / Sat fat: 5.2g
Total Carbs: 42.7g / Dietary fiber: 7g / Sugars: 2.2g
With ground turkey:
Total fat: 17.3g / Sat fat: 17.1g
Total carbs: 47.2g / Dietary fiber: 6.8g / Sugars: 9.2g