Jumbo Shells and Meatballs
I always wanted to find a reason to buy those jumbo pasta shells and this fit the bill.
Super easy to do ... can be prepared ahead of time and re-heated the next day.
In fact .. it seems to taste even better the next day !
- jumbo pasta shells
- 1/2 lb
- ground beef or turkey
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c
- cracker crumbs
- egg - beaten
- provolone cheese
- pasta sauce - home made or store bought
How to Make Jumbo Shells and Meatballs
- 1This recipe is not science like baking is.
You can adjust the amounts according to your individual tastes.
Change up the cheeses, use a different type of ground meat ... make it yours.
But please - if you are going to rate this recipe you need to prepare it as presented before you rate it.
- 2Cook pasta shells for half the recommended time for al dente.
Drain, rinse with cold water and cool.
- 3In small bowl combine the ground meat, peppers, onions, spices, parm cheese and mix well.
Add cracker crumbs and eggs and mix until well incorporated.
Form this mixture into 9 equal size meatballs.
- 4Cook the meatballs either in a skillet or in the oven - whichever you prefer - until about half done.
Drain on paper towel.
- 5Preheat oven to 350.
Spray and 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.
Spoon a few tablespoons of your pasta sauce on the bottom of the prepared pan.
Take a jumbo pasta shell. Lay a slice of Provolone cheese inside the shell then put the meatball in.
Set the completed pasta shell into the baking dish and repeat.
- 6Pour more pasta sauce over your shells .. the amount you use is completely up to you .. more if you love sauce and less if you don't. Be sure to add at least half way up the pasta shell.
Sprinkle entire dish with grated Parmesan cheese, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- 7After 30 minutes, remove from oven, take of cover.
Lay more slices of Provolone cheese ( or Mozzarella if you prefer) over top of the entire dish.
Put back in oven just long enough for the cheese to melt - somewhere between 3 and 4 minutes.
- 8When the cheese is melted remove from oven and let it sit for at least 6 minutes before serving.