Jackie's Mom's Macaroni & Cheese
The base of this recipe is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, but I've made it mine.
This is absolutely one of our favorite comfort foods! ENJOY!!!
32 ozmacaroni, elbow
1/2 cbutter (1 stick)
2 tsponion powder
3/4 tspwhite pepper
3 1/2 cmilk
5 ozvelveeta, sliced or cubed
4 ozmexican blend shredded cheese
4 ozswiss cheese
3 ozhavarti cheese
How to Make Jackie's Mom's Macaroni & Cheese
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Do not overcook. If it says to cook 7-9 minutes, cook NO longer than 8.
- Melt butter over low heat. Measure onion powder & pepper into 1/2 cup measure. Fill remainder of cup with flour. Add flour mixture to butter in pan and mix thoroughly with a wisk. Cook over low heat stirring constantly till mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk with wisk. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses till melted. Pour sauce over cooked macaroni & stir well. If desired, pour some or all of the mac n cheese into a buttered casserole, top with bread crumbs or ritz crumb in a little melted butter and bake for about 30 minutes at 375º. ENJOY!!
- NOTES: Rarely do I get to bake the mac n cheese. My kids don't usually give me the chance. They dig in as soon as the mac is mixed into the cheese.
The original recipe called for chopped onion and salt. My kids don't like the chunks and I figured with all that cheese additional salt is not necessary.
Also tastes great with add ins such as tuna or chicken.