Angela (Grammy) Derby
How to Make Homemade Pasta
- 1In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, olive oil, and 1-2 Tbsp. of the water. Mix together until it forms a stiff dough. Add more water if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 2On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 3 to 4 minutes or this can be done with a dough hook in your Kitchen Aid machine. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- 3With a pasta machine or by hand roll dough out to desired thinness. Make sure each piece is lightly floured and left out to dry for just a few minutes.
- 4Using a pasta machine or knife (I like to use a pizza cutter) to cut into strips of desired width. If you're cutting the noodles by hand, loosely roll the thin dough like a jelly roll, and slice into desired width. Unroll them and lay out on a lightly floured board.
- 5Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; using a large amount of water will prevent the pasta from sticking together.drop. Drop the pasta gently into the water and stir just once or twice. If you have enough water in the pot, sticking shouldn't be a problem.
- 6DO NOT COVER the pot or the water will boil over. Quickly bring the pasta back to a rolling boil, stir, and boil until al dente, or firm to the bite, about 3-4 minutes.
- 7Drain into a colander. Add enough sauce to the hot pasta and toss. Serve immediately with your favorite sauce, olive oil or melted butter.