Home Made Hamburger Helper (AKA Beef and noodles)
2 cbaby carrots
2 lbground beef (give or take)
1 lbpasta of choice....i like penne
2 cfrozen peas
1/2 cdiced onion
2 stalk(s)celery finely chopped
·beef bouillon or beef stock concentrated
6 cwater more or less
2 Tbsppenzey's beef roast seasoning (optional)
1-2 tspgarlic salt or throw in fresh garlic and only use seasoned salt for flavor
·seasoned salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Home Made Hamburger Helper (AKA Beef and noodles)
- Cook carrots in 2 cups beef broth (bouillon) don't throw water away.
- Cook pasta to barely al dente. Drain
- Brown meat. It's better to use 80/20 ground beef so it gives off some fat. Other than that there is no fat in this recipe. You want the ground meat to be cooked really well so it begins to brown. That is where the great beef flavor comes from. If you are watching your fat you can drain after browned but you will have to add olive oil or coconut oil back into the pan so when the flour is added the roux will form. But it will not taste the same.
- Add onion and celery cook on high heat stirring frequently until onions and celery are soft
- Add flour. Stir for 5 minutes to make sure thr flour is cook into the ingredients.
- Add carrots and the liquid they were cooked in to pot keep stirring then add about 2 more cups of water and keep stirring as it comes to a boil. Add some more beef bouillon to taste.
- Throw the peas and the pasta in and add enough water to cover and bring to boil again Stir to keep from sticking. Cook the barely al dente pasta a little more.
- This is not really very thick, has the consistency of gravy. If you would like it thicker please fell free to add a little more flour. This pairs well with a big cold glass of milk!