Green Chile Mac and Cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 small
- onion, chopped
- jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 4 c
- milk, low-fat, warmed
- 8 oz
- canned, chopped green chiles, drained
- 8 oz
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 8 oz
- pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 c
- crushed corn chips (fritos)
How to Make Green Chile Mac and Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375*F; line a large baking sheet with foil. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni until al dente, about 8 minutes, or as label directs. Drain, rinse under cold water.
- 2Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion & jalapenos and saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour on onion mixture and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Raise heat to medium and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in chiles. Set aside 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Add remaining cheddar & all of the pepper jack cheese to skillet & cook, stirring, until all cheese has melted. Season with salt & pepper.
- 3Add pasta to skillet; stir. Mist a 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray & add pasta mixture.
- 4Combine corn chips with reserved cheddar cheese; sprinkle over pasta. Place dish on lined baking sheet; bake until pasta mixture is bubbling and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.