Gift In A Jar Cowboy Casserole
When I give this gift, I put it in a basket with all the items needed to make the casserole (except the ground beef and cheese).
There are several single men that I make baskets for... and they really appreciate having everything along with the recipe... They only have to pick up the meat and cheese on the way home.
When I make this I do several at a time. I always have them on hand for a gift or for use at home! The grandchildren like to help their daddy make this.
- 1 pkg
- (1.5 ounce) brown gravy mix
- 2 Tbsp
- taco seasoning mix
- 1 Tbsp
- each: dried cilantro flakes, dried parsley flakes
- 3 Tbsp
- dried minced onion
- 2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp
- beef boullion
- 1/2 tsp
- ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp
- chili powder
- 3 1/4 c
- wagon wheel pasta
How to Make Gift In A Jar Cowboy Casserole
- 1Pour gravy mix into wide-mouth quart jar.
- 2In a small bowl, mix together all the spices and the bouillon. Make a paper funnel or use a canning funnel to put the spice layer into the jar.
- 3Pour the wagon wheel pasta into the jar. Place lid and ring onto jar.
- 4Cut a piece of cloth in a circle that is 3 - 4 inches wider than the jar ring. (I use a pinking sheers to cut the material for a nice edging.
I use a rubber band to hold the cloth in place on the jar. Then I tie a pretty ribbon over the rubber band and attach the recipe card that has a hole in it to put the ribbon through. Then tie a pretty bow.
- 5Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 6The gift tag/ recipe card:
In a large skillet: Brown and cook well 1-1/2 pounds ground beef. Drain.
- 7Add the ingredients in the jar to the skillet.
Add 4 cups water
Add 1 cup chunky salsa
Add 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
Add 1 (15 ounce) can Mexican Corn (drained)
- 8Stir together well. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Either use cooking spray or oil to put a thin layer on 9 x 13 -inch baking pan. Pour the well stirred mixture into baking pan.
- 9Cover baking pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes (or until pasta is cooked and tender). Remove foil.
Add 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
- 10Return to the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Makes 10 servings.