I will type in the original recipe as it is great too, then I will also put what I changed, in parenthesis, so if you want to, you can too. :) I hope I don't confuse anyone to much!
I hope you enjoy!
- 3/4 c
- 3/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- beef bouillon granules (i used beef base)
- 2 tsp
- onion salt (i used 1 onion, chopped and no salt)
- 2 tsp
- pepper, divided (i used 1t)
- (i add 1t of minced garlic with pepper)
- 2 1/4 c
- milk (i use 2 c milk with 1/2 c cream)
- 1 - 14 1/2 oz
- can chicken broth (i use 2-3 c of chicken stock)
- 1 lb
- smoked kielbasa, diced (i also have used canadian bacon, diced)
- 1 - 12 oz
- carton of cottage cheese
- lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 - 16 oz
- jar sauerkraut, drained, rinsed and drained well
- 2 c
- monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided
- (i added 2 c swiss cheese, shredded with the monterey jack cheese)
How to Make German Lasagna
- 1In a saucepan, melt butter. (add onion and saute until tender) Stir in flour, bouillon (base), onion salt, 1 t pepper (1/2t pepper)(also garlic) until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and broth (I warm my milk and stock in microwave first). Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min or until thickened. Add sausage (canadian bacon), heat through.
- 2Combine eggs, cottage cheese and remaining pepper. Spread one cup of sausage mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Layer with three noodles, a third of the sausage mixture, half of the cottage cheese mixture and half the sauerkraut and 3/4 cup of the monterey jack (+ 3/4c swiss). Repeat layers, top with remaining noodles and sausage mixture (dish will be very full) cover with foil and bake 50 min at 350 until bubbly. Remove cover and sprinkle with remaining jack (and swiss)cheese. Bake another 5 min. or longer until cheese is melted. Let stand 15 min before cutting.
- 3I add all cheeses and bake covered 45 min. then remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is a golden brown. (20ish minutes)