Fresh Corn Pestare Pasta & Seared Grape Tomatoes
4 c4-cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 large ears)
8 slicethick cut applewood bacon, diced
1 1/2 cgrape tomatoes, sliced into halves
1 1/2 tspkosher salt (divided)
1 Tbspminced garlic
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1 pinchcayenne pepper
1/2 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
1/2 ctoasted pine nuts, divided
3/4 cheavy cream
8 oztagliatelle (fresh if possible)
1/2 cfresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped (divided)
1/4 cflat leaf parsley, coarsley chopped
How to Make Fresh Corn Pestare Pasta & Seared Grape Tomatoes
- Microwave 3 ears of corn in husks on HIGH for 3 minutes. Remove and repeat with the other 3 ears of corn. Let cool, remove husks and silk and slice off kernels into a large bowl.
- In large heavy skillet, over medium heat, cook bacon until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon transfer bacon to paper towel to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings reserving one extra tablespoon for later use.
- Add tomatoes and 1/2-teaspoon salt to skillet; cook over medium heat until tomatoes are lightly browned and caramelized. Using slotted spoon transfer tomatoes to heatproof bowl.
- Add reserved 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings to pan. Add corn, garlic, remaining salt and pepper and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of corn mixture in small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the remaining corn mixture into a food processor or blender. Add Parmesan cheese, 1/4-cup pine nuts and cream; process until pestare is smooth and creamy.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender but firm (fresh pasta will take about 1-2 minutes). Drain pasta, reserving 2 cups of pasta water.
- Return pasta to pot and add fresh corn pestare, reserved corn kernels,1/4-cup basil leaves and parsley. Toss gently adding just enough of reserved pasta water to reach desired sauce consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Divide pasta among serving bowls. Top with seared tomatoes, crispy bacon, remaining pine nuts. Garnish with remaining basil. Pass additional grated Parmesan as desired.