Family Night's Best Spaghetti
- 1-2 lb
- spaghetti noodles
- 1 lb
- ground chuck
- 1 lb
- italian sausage, mild, no casings
- baby bella mushrooms or portabella, chopped (optional)
- small onion, practically minced
- 5 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 28oz can(s)
- diced tomatoes (i use hunts)
- 1 12oz can(s)
- tomato paste (again, i use hunts)
- 2 15oz can(s)
- tomato sauce (hunts. feel free to use which brand you prefer on any of these)
- 1 c
- water, from rinsing the cans
- 3 tsp
- basil, dried
- 2 tsp
- parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp
- brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp
- 1/3 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp
- fresh coarse black pepper
- 1/2 c
- red wine cabernet (i use whatever's in my price range at the time)
- shredded parmesan cheese
How to Make Family Night's Best Spaghetti
- 1In large pot, brown onions in splash of vegetable oil (brown but not burnt), then add both meats. Stir and break apart until brown. Drain out most of the grease.
- 2Add garlic, mushrooms, all seasonings, all the cans of tomato products, and 1 cup of water, rinsed through the cans.
- 3Stir well, bring to slight boil.
- 4Add wine, then simmer and stir frequently for at least one hour. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes. (Stirring is very important)
- 5Cook spaghetti in seperate pot using the instructions on the package. Make sure to salt the water, unsalted noodles are flavorless noodles. I drain the noodles without rinsing them, because you get to keep all the starchy goodness that way.
- 6Serve, topped with parmesan.
The parmesan is the kicker, gives it a perfectly rounded flavor.