Extra sharp macaroni and cheese
- 16 oz box
- macaroni, elbow
- 4 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- nutmeg, fresh
- 1 lb
- cooper sharp cheese (at deli)
- 4 c
- extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 c
- sour cream, don't use lite
- 4 c
- whole milk, don't use skim
How to Make Extra sharp macaroni and cheese
- 1Prepare macaroni according to package, cooking about 1 minute less than it calls for. Drain and place in a 13 x 9 baking dish which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2In a heavy, large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper (about a pinch each) and let it sit for about 90 seconds so the flour cooks. Stir with a whisk until the flour is smooth, about 1 minute. Add the milk, slowly at first, to incorporate, whisking quickly. Add the sour cream (it will look lumpy). Whisk frequently until it just about boils, being careful not to let it boil. Add the cheeses, starting with the cooper sharp, a few slices at a time and whisk until incorporated. Add 2 cups of grated cheddar and the tiniest pinch of fresh, grated nutmeg. Don't boil, just whisk until the cheeses are melted and the sauce becomes smooth.
- 3Pour the sauce over the macaroni (I use all of it because we like it very creamy. If you like a custard-y consistency, leave a little sauce out). Stir the sauce until the macaroni is covered. Top with the remaining 2 cups of grated cheddar. Do not cover. Cook in a 350 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes until it's bubbling. ENJOY!