- 1 tsp
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz
- of any cheap cut of steak
- onion - any size, any kind
- 1/2 pkg
- mmushrooms - any kind, my favorite is portabello
- 2 oz
- dried mushrooms - any kind
- 1 c
- beef stock or red wine...or a mix of both!
- 1 c
- 1/2 pkg
- pasta - egg noodles are my favorite, but this is also good with penne...but i would also eat it with any other kind!
How to Make Desperation Strogonaf
- 1rub some salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil into the steak about 15-30 minutes before applying heat
- 2Heat a skillet to medium high heat and sear the steak on each side. I buy thin cuts of steak that I generally leave to sear for 2 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other side for a medium/well done-ness
- 3place cooked steak on a plate to rest
- 4To the same pan add a dash of olive oil, let it heat up, and add the mushrooms and onion; saute for 2-3 minutes or until they seem cooked through
- 5throw in the dried mushrooms and deglaze the pan with the beefstock/wine, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes
- 6remove the pan from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. If the sauce is too hot, the buttermilk will curdle. If you have used wine, the buttermilk will curdle due to the acidity. This will leave the sauce with a somewhat grainy LOOKING but not tasting texture. Frankly, this does not bother me and my buttermilk usually ends up looking a bit grainy. It still tastes great!
- 7Bring water for pasta to a boil and salt it like the sea
- 8Cook your pasta
- 9Slice your steak, plate your pasta, throw your sauce over everything, and revel in your culinary prowess!