Crowd Pleasing Easy Mac and Cheese
1-2 pkgmacaroni, elbow
1 pkgvelveeta cheese loaf, room temp
1 pkgcream cheese, softened
1 can(s)campbell's condensed cheddar cheese soup
1-2eggs, room temp
1 dash(es)onion powder
8 ozcolby jack, mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Crowd Pleasing Easy Mac and Cheese
- First off, this recipe is not exact, but really it doesn't have to be. It depends purely on how much you want to make and the only variable really is in the cheese mixture; you're going to make more or less of it depending on the amount of noodles you use.
- Let's start with the noodles. We all know how to cook noodles. If you don't, get used to the taste of plain noodles, because that's how you gauge their doneness. We want to make sure we salt the water and I like to add a half teaspoon of butter to the boiling water before adding the raw noodles. Allow the noodles cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes at a full boil. this time is dependent on the amount of noodles you are cooking, so just keep and eye on them and test them periodically. To test the noodles: fish s couple out with a spoon and then quickly apply cold water to them to stop them from cooking. They should be tender, or al dente, but not soft or mushy. If they are soft they have been cooked too long and your mac will not have a great texture. Once the tested noodles are tender or al dente remove them from heat and run cold water over them immediately. Put noodles in a large mixing bowl. Set them aside to cool completely.
- Cheese Mixture, this can be started while cooking the noodles to reduce prep time.
Again this is dependent on the amount of noodles you will use. For example I'm going to use 5 cups of cooked noodles so I'll add 1/3 of the velveeta loaf, 1/2 the package of cream cheese and 1/3 the can of cheddar cheese soup to a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave cheeses, covered on high for 45 seconds. Remove bowl and beat mixture with spoon. Continue microwaving at 15-30 second intervals until creamy, not necessarily smooth, but try to get that cream cheese distributed well. At this point we can preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat 1 egg, or 2 eggs depending on the amount of noodles you are using, with 1 tbsp water, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper and dash of onion powder. Add to cooled noodles and gently fold to make sure all noodles are coated. This helps the mac to set and stay firm even while hot and seasons the whole dish.
- The Mixing Stage, This is when you can add to the recipe if you choose.
Add the cheese mixture to the noodles and gently fold until all noodles have been coated. Add a handfull of shredded cheese to the top and fold again. Add another handfull of shredded cheese and fold again, until evenly mixed.
- Last Step
Spread noodle mixture into a disposable aluminum pan, or a non-stick pan, or any other type of pan sprayed with cooking spray. Spread evenly and top with shredded cheese. Place into oven on middle rack and cook for approx 30 min, or until cheese starts to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool uncovered for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!