Classic Spinach Lasagna1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1/2 oz
- porcini mushrooms, dried
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 oz
- pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped onion
- 1/2 lb
- lean ground beef
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 oz
- chicken livers, cleaned and minced
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1.5 lb
- fresh spinach
- 1 c
- ricotta cheese
- whole nutmeg
- 1 lb
- fresh lasagna noodles
- 1.5 Tbsp
- 1 c
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Classic Spinach Lasagna
- 1TO MAKE THE MEAT SAUCE: Put the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over them.
- 2Let them sit for 30 minutes, then drain, reserving the water.
- 3Rinse the mushroom pieces thoroughly, chop them fine, and rinse again to remove all traces of grit.
- 4Line a sieve with a dampened paper towel and strain the mushroom-soaking liquid into a small bowl.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a large non-reactive skillet.
- 6Add the pancetta and onion and saute over low heat 5 minutes.
- 7Raise heat to medium, crumble in the ground beef, and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and several grindings of fresh pepper.
- 8Saute 5 more minutes, stirring to break up the meat.
- 9Add the chopped chicken livers and the chopped porcini.
- 10In a measuring cup, combine 1/2 cup of the mushroom-soaking liquid and 1/2 cup hot water.
- 11Dissolve the tomato paste in this liquid and add it to the skillet.
- 12Bring to a simmer, cover the pan and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally and regulating the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- 13TO MAKE THE SPINACH FILLING: If you are using fresh spinach, wash it carefully, and place it in a large pot with only the amount of water that clings to the leaves.
- 14Sprinkle lightly with salt, cover the pot and turn heat to high.
- 15As soon as the spinach wilts, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes. (If using frozen spinach, cook according to package directions.)
- 16Drain the spinach in a colander, spray with cold water, squeeze out most of the water, and chop it fine.
- 17Put it into a bowl and add the ricotta, the egg, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and several gratings of fresh nutmeg.
- 18Stir all together well.
- 19COOKING THE LASAGNA: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- 20Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- 21Lay out several clean dish towels on a work surface.
- 22Drop the lasagna noodles a few at a time into the boiling water and cook 1 minute.
- 23Drain them with a slotted spoon, dip them into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking, and lay them out on the dish towels while you cook the rest.
- 24ASSEMBLY AND BAKING: Preheat oven to 400.
- 25Butter a 10-by-14-inch baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- 26Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of lasagna noodles. (Use about a quarter of them.)
- 27Spread 1/4 of the spinach-ricotta mixture over the surface.
- 28Sprinkle on 1/4 of the parmigiano, then 1/4 of the meat sauce.
- 29Make 3 more layers in the same way, ending with the cheese and meat sauce.
- 30Finally, dot the top with the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- 31Bake 15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling hot.
- 32Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.