This recipe can be made "saucier" by not cooking down the tomato sauce as much as listed. This is totally a personal decision. Just remember that it will cook down a little more in the oven as it bakes, so adjust the sauce cooking time accordingly.
Buon Appetito! =^..^=
3 lbground chuck (although ground turkey also works well)
1large onion, chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
1medium green pepper, seeded & chopped
2pinches of oregano (or to taste)
sprinkleof garlic salt (or to taste)
sprinkleof salt (or to taste)
58 oz(2 large cans) of tomato sauce
16 ozshredded mozzarella cheese
12 ozshredded swiss cheese
4 ozsliced mushrooms, fresh or canned, optional
8 ozlasagna noodles
1 Tbspcooking oil
How to Make Carol's Lasagna
- Put on a pot of water to boil for the lasagna noodles. It's OK if they get done before the sauce since the whole dish will heat up in the oven.
- Add oregano, garlic salt, salt and tomato sauce to the browned meat mixture. (Add the canned mushroom LIQUID now, if used. Save the canned mushrooms until step #9.) Cook over low-medium heat until thickened, stirring often, about 30-40 minutes. (If you like your lasagna "saucier," cook only about 20 minutes.)
- While cooking the sauce, cook the lasagna noodles, with the oil, in the boiling water until almost tender. Drain the noodles.
- Mix the cheeses together in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (or mist with cooking spray) a 13 x 9 baking dish.