Brianna's Favorite Baked Mac & Cheese
- 1 1/3 c
- elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 c
- shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 c
- shredded colby & monterrey jack cheeses
- 4 stick
- low-moisture string cheese (or 1 c shredded mozzarella)
- 5 large
- 6 Tbsp
- 2/3 c
- evaporated milk
- 1/3 c
- 2 % milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 Tbsp
- garlic powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp
- parsley flakes (optional)
How to Make Brianna's Favorite Baked Mac & Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350º. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Cook macaronis according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to pot. In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Add the milks to the butter. Heat on a medium flame until a skin forms on the top. Do Not Let the Milk & Butter BURN. Set aside. While milk and butter is heating, in a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs. Once milk & butter mixture is heated through, remove from heat and quickly whisk in eggs. Immediately pour the mixture into the pot with the seasoned macaronis. Stir together mixing well.
- 3Mix in the cheeses. If using string cheese, cut them up into cubes, like the size of sugar cubes. Once everything is mixed well, pour into the baking dish.
- 4Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, longer if you prefer "stiffer" mac & cheese. Once removed from the oven cover to keep in the moisture until ready to serve. Let sit for a few minutes before serving so the ingredients meld together. Serve warm. Enjoy!
- 5Variations: Experiment with cheeses. I sometimes add cubed Velveeta instead of the colby & jack cheeses or a cup of each. I try to keep the total amount of cheeses used to 5 cups. My mom would also sometimes put slices of American cheese on top. I've also used heavy cream in lieu of evaporated milk.