Best Ever Baked Spaghetti with a Twist!
- 2 lbs. ground chuck (i used sirloin)
- 2 (24 oz) jars spaghetti sauce ** 2 (24 oz) jars pasta sauce * see note! see note below!
- 16 oz. spaghetti, undercooked by 2 min.,drained
- 4 t butter + 4 t olive oil
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/4 c grated parmesan
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- some fresh grated nutmeg
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 3 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Best Ever Baked Spaghetti with a Twist!
- 1In a large heated skillet over medium high brown then drain your meat.
I seasoned the meat though not called for with the red pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt,and some black pepper.
- 2In a sauce pot over medium heat sauté the garlic in a little olive oil. Add the 2 jars of pasta sauce,( rinse the jars with a little water) 2 bay leaves,1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tsp brown sugar and 1/4 tsp pepper flakes. Let it simmer on low while making the cheese sauce.
NOTE: I doctored the sauce according to our taste, because the recipe just called for using the sauce right from the jar
- 3Cheese sauce! This is the best recipe I have come across and it would be wonderful over vegetables too.:-)
Melt butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, garlic powder, nutmeg and parmesan. Whisking combine this well and let it come to a bubble.
Add the evaporated milk slowly and whisk until it comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese until melted.
Taste to see if you want to add salt.
- 4Heat oven to 350F
Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole.
Combine the pasta, pasta sauce and meat.
Spoon half of it into the casserole.
Pour the cheese sauce over the top.
Spoon the rest of the pasta mixture over the top.
Now top this with the remaining 2 c cheddar.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.
This can be prepare ahead and refrigerated but it will take longer to bake. This also is supposed to freeze well according to the paper. :-)