★★★★★ 1 vote5
10 ozwhite bread flour, preferably 00 grade, plus extra for dusting
1 Tbspolive oil
2eggs lightly beaten
How to Make Basic Pasta Dough
- Lightly dust a counter with flour. Sift the flour and salt into a mound.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, add the oil and beaten eggs. Using your finger tips, work to form a stiff dough. If necessary, add 2-3 tablespoons of water to make the dough pliable.
- Knead the dough vigorously for 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth, firm and soft. Wrap the dough in a plastic bag or plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Cover a counter with a clean cloth or dish towel and dust it liberally with flour. Place one portion of the dough on the floured cloth and roll it out as thinly and evenly as possible, stretching the dough gently until the pattern of the weave shows through. Cover the rolled dough with a cloth while rolling out the second piece. Alternatively, use a pasta machine to cut the dough.
- Using a ruler or sharp bladed knife, or a pasta or pastry wheel, cut the pasta into the required shapes or use a pasta machine to form the dough into shapes.
- To dry the pasta, place a dish towel over the back of a chair and hang the strips over it for 30-45 minutes to become partly dry.