Baked Ziti or Mosticolli
You can add veggies if you like,mushrooms..peppers etc.. but I leave it just with the meat and cheese... or I make an all veggie one...It's so simple I leave it simple... you can make this with a deep casserole dish which I prefer or a large baking pan what ever you have on hand...but always cover the first 1/2 hour... you want the middle cheese layer to cook and don't want the top to brown yet..
11 -2 lb of italian sausage or hamburger
·1 - 26 oz jar of your choice spag sauce ( cheapo)
·1 - 14oz can diced tomatoes (cheapo)
·1 small can tomato paste (cheapo)
·1 chopped onion
·3 cloves chopped garlic
·1/2 cup parm cheese ( the spaghetti kind)
·1/2 cup shredded mozz cheese
·1 large carton of cottage cheese (large or small curd does not matter)
·1 box of mosticolli or ziti pasta
How to Make Baked Ziti or Mosticolli
- I use what ever I have on hand.. (hamburger or Italian sausage)cook the meat on medium heat along with chopped onion and garlic until done.
- Drain fat and add jar of spag sauce and can of diced tomatoes simmer on med heat for 10 min...stir ocasionally
- Turn the heat to low add 1 can tomato paste along with 2 cans of water Simmer for 25 min... stirring ocasionally
- Add salt,pepper,onion powder,garlic powder crushed Italian seasoning to taste,
- Cook pasta to el dente.. slightly firm and not soft.. drain and add to the sauce mix... mix altogether well..
- Add cottage cheese, eggs and the parm cheese to food processor and blend until mixed .. just a few quick pulses.. you'll have a thick cheesey blend..
- In a large casserole dish add a layer of pasta and sauce... then a layer of cheese mix... cover with remaining pasta/sauce mix... add the rest of the cheese blend... and top off with the shredded mozz cheese
- Cover dish and bake at 375 for 1/2 hour .. make sure to cover... then turn the oven down and cook at 350 for 20 min or until top layer of cheese is cooked..take out of oven and let rest for a few minutes before serving... It becomes easier to slice..