1 lbziti or rigatoni pasta
·water & chicken stock to cook pasta
·olive oil (optional. see notes)
32 ozconforti family red gravy aka spaghetti sauce (see recipe) with sausage and/or meatballs (great use of leftovers)
6 sliceprovolone cheese (optional)
1/2 lbmozzarella cheese, grated
1 cricotta cheese
1 cparmesan or pecorino cheese, grated
How to Make Baked Ziti
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large pot of 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken stock (2 quarts) to a strong boil. Add a Tbsp of salt.
- Add the pasta & cook till al dente. Drain. **Note: Grandmom Elaine used to drizzle olive oil over pasta to keep it from sticking. But it keeps the cheese from sticking to the pasta so I don’t use it.
- Put pasta into an oven proof baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Add the Red Gravy, mix it in
- Break up the Ricotta, then mix it in.
- Add 1/2 mozzarella, mix it in
- Top with provolones slices, if using. Then the remaining mozzarella, and the Parmesan
- Bake 20-30 mins or until cheese is golden & sauce is bubbly.