Baked Pasta with Béchamel and Parmesan
- 3 c
- 5 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 5 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 c
- parmigiano-reggiano, freshly grated
- 1 lb
- rigatoni pasta, cooked or pasta of your choice cooked to a firm al dente`
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted, cut into small pieces
- handful of sliced almonds, toasted for topping if desired
How to Make Baked Pasta with Béchamel and Parmesan
- 1FOR SAUCE:
Heat milk until hot but not boiling.
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat – add butter. When butter foams sprinkle in flour and stir with a whisk until well combined.
- 2Lower heat to medium low and continue stirring for 2 minutes – do not let flour brown. Remove from heat and whisk in the warmed milk all at once, whisking vigorously to prevent lumps.
Return saucepan to low heat, add salt and cook gently stirring for 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce has a medium thick consistency.
If it gets too thick add more milk and if it is too thin just continue cooking until it reaches desired consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Butter a casserole dish very well. Add cooked and drained pasta to dish. Top with béchamel sauce and stir lightly to incorporate sauce in to pasta.
Sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg then Parmagiana cheese. Top with small pieces of butter and sprinkle with sliced, toasted almonds if using.
Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until bubbling. Finish under broiler to create and crisp golden crust.