Baked Macaroni, Vegetables & Cheese
- 2 c
- elbow macaroni
- vegetable spray
- 1 medium
- bell pepper (or 3/4 cup other vegetable), chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, divided
- shallot plus 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp
- 3/4 c
- milk (more if needed)
- 4-6 oz
- of cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
- plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 c
- 5-cheese blend
- 1/4 c
- grated cheese
- 1/3 c
- bread crumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Baked Macaroni, Vegetables & Cheese
- 1Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water until "al dente". Drain and spread out on a cookie sheet to cool.
- 2Using a large wok, spray inside with vegetable spray and heat. Add chopped peppers and 1 teaspoon of butter. Saute pepper until soft. Season and set aside in a bowl.
- 3In same pan, spray once more and add shallot, onion and 1 teaspoon butter. Saute until onions are soft. Season and remove to bowl with sautéed peppers.
- 4Add remaining butter to wok and when it melts, add flour. Cook until a paste forms. Add milk a little at a time until mixture starts to thicken.
- 5Add cheddar cheese and stir and cook until melted. Cook 1 or 2 minutes more, until cheese mixture thickens. Add chopped tomato.
- 6Pour cooked macaroni into wok, stirring to cover with sauce.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Prepare a baking pan approximately 8 X 5 with vegetable spray.
- 9Pour 1/3 macaroni mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the 5 cheese mix.
- 10Repeat this laying 2 more times.
- 11On top layer sprinkle the grated cheese, then the breadcrumbs and spray with vegetable spray. Season top with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until top is golden and browned.
- 13TIP: Add frozen peas in each layer, for an extra vegetable and element of flavor.