Baked Macaroni, Vegetables & Cheese
2 celbow macaroni
1 mediumbell pepper (or 3/4 cup other vegetable), chopped
3 Tbspbutter, divided
1shallot plus 1 small onion, chopped
3/4 cmilk (more if needed)
4-6 ozof cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
1plum tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 c5-cheese blend
1/4 cgrated cheese
1/3 cbread crumbs
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Baked Macaroni, Vegetables & Cheese
- Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water until "al dente". Drain and spread out on a cookie sheet to cool.
- Using a large wok, spray inside with vegetable spray and heat. Add chopped peppers and 1 teaspoon of butter. Saute pepper until soft. Season and set aside in a bowl.
- In same pan, spray once more and add shallot, onion and 1 teaspoon butter. Saute until onions are soft. Season and remove to bowl with sautéed peppers.
- Add remaining butter to wok and when it melts, add flour. Cook until a paste forms. Add milk a little at a time until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir and cook until melted. Cook 1 or 2 minutes more, until cheese mixture thickens. Add chopped tomato.
- Pour cooked macaroni into wok, stirring to cover with sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a baking pan approximately 8 X 5 with vegetable spray.
- Pour 1/3 macaroni mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the 5 cheese mix.
- Repeat this laying 2 more times.
- On top layer sprinkle the grated cheese, then the breadcrumbs and spray with vegetable spray. Season top with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until top is golden and browned.
- TIP: Add frozen peas in each layer, for an extra vegetable and element of flavor.