Baked Macaroni and Cheese
He bit into it and literally teared up and said "This reminds me of my mom and I love it".
He never had seconds of anything but that night I believe he had thirds. Since I have had to email my mom the recipe so she can make him his favorite meal.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
One bite and my grandson, Connor, was hooked! This one was a hit around the Crew table. To quote Connor, "This mac and cheese is awesome!" The Test Kitchen
- 1 box
- spiral macaroni
- 4 c
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 c
- asiago cheese, grated
- 1 c
- gorganzonla cheese, crumbled
- 2-3 c
- 2-3 Tbsp
- 2-3 Tbsp
- corn starch or flour
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1In a large pot prepare macaroni as directed. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a large skillet melt butter and saute' garlic until slightly golden over medium high heat.
- 3Add corn starch or flour and make a rue. Should be a slight golden brown.
- 4Add a little of the milk and whisk to break up the rue so there will be no lumps. Continue to add milk and whisk so no lumps form.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until sauce starts to thicken.
- 7Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese, Asiago and Gorganzola cheese constantly stirring until melted and sauce is thick.
- 8Pour sauce over the macaroni and stir well.
- 9Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and stir.
- 10Pour into a prepared 9x12 rectangle baking pan.
- 11Top with remaining cheese.
- 12Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until the cheese on top is a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Then serve.
- 13Cheeses can be less or more to your preference. I also like to add fresh mushrooms, onions and broccoli for a twist. You can also use Parmesan cheese or Italian bread crumbs on top with the Cheddar cheese for a crunchier top.