Baked Mac 'n Cheese with Cauliflower
The cauliflower adds texture and flavor that compliments the pasta and cheese.
We make an effort to use whole foods where we can so whole wheat flour and pasta noodles are used in our kitchen but white flour is fine.
Also, you can use any bread crumbs. We've even made our own with left over garlic bread.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 Tbspbutter or earth balance butter substitute
1 conion, finely diced
2 1/2 Tbspwhole wheat flour
2 1/2 clow fat milk
3 csharp cheddar cheese
1 tspspicy mustard
2 pinchcreole or cajun spice
2 1/2 cwhole wheat pasta of your preference (shells, macaroni, rotini)
1 1/2 ccauliflower florets
1/2 cbreadcrumbs (we prefer panko)
1/8 cparmesan cheese
How to Make Baked Mac 'n Cheese with Cauliflower
- cook pasta in heavily salted water according to package directions.
- in 2 qt. sauce pan saute onions in 2 tbsps. butter until translucent over medium heat.
- add flour and stir until the onions are coated - approximately 1 min.
- while stirring add milk and reduce heat to medium low. allow milk to get hot but not boil.
- add cheese and continue to stir until incorporated. add mustard and spice to taste.
- in a oil sprayed casserole dish add pasta and uncooked cauliflower florets. cover with cheese sauce.
- in a small pan melt the rest of the butter and add the bread crumbs until well coated. remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and sprinkle over top.
- bake on 350 degree for approximately 50 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and the top is browned.
- let stand for approximately 10 minutes prior to serving.