Baked Mac 'n Cheese with Cauliflower
The cauliflower adds texture and flavor that compliments the pasta and cheese.
We make an effort to use whole foods where we can so whole wheat flour and pasta noodles are used in our kitchen but white flour is fine.
Also, you can use any bread crumbs. We've even made our own with left over garlic bread.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 Tbsp
- butter or earth balance butter substitute
- 1 c
- onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 c
- low fat milk
- 3 c
- sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp
- spicy mustard
- 2 pinch
- creole or cajun spice
- 2 1/2 c
- whole wheat pasta of your preference (shells, macaroni, rotini)
- 1 1/2 c
- cauliflower florets
- 1/2 c
- breadcrumbs (we prefer panko)
- 1/8 c
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Baked Mac 'n Cheese with Cauliflower
- 1cook pasta in heavily salted water according to package directions.
- 2in 2 qt. sauce pan saute onions in 2 tbsps. butter until translucent over medium heat.
- 3add flour and stir until the onions are coated - approximately 1 min.
- 4while stirring add milk and reduce heat to medium low. allow milk to get hot but not boil.
- 5add cheese and continue to stir until incorporated. add mustard and spice to taste.
- 6in a oil sprayed casserole dish add pasta and uncooked cauliflower florets. cover with cheese sauce.
- 7in a small pan melt the rest of the butter and add the bread crumbs until well coated. remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and sprinkle over top.
- 8bake on 350 degree for approximately 50 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and the top is browned.
- 9let stand for approximately 10 minutes prior to serving.