Mertzie's Bacon Carbonara Style Pasta
1lb. pasta, (i used fettucini and recommend a long pasta such as linguini or spaghetti for this)
3/4lb. bacon (reserve some of the grease)
1/4cup heavy cream
4eggs (use very fresh)
·scallions and garlic cloves
·red pepper flakes (optional)
1tbs olive oil or melted butter
1/8cup dry white wine (or more)
3/4cup grated parm
·fresh italian parsley
·few pinches of nutmeg
How to Make Mertzie's Bacon Carbonara Style Pasta
- Get the water boiling for your pasta -- I make my pasta water very salty "like the sea", as the saying goes. If you have a leftover onion, toss that in for flavor.
- Fry bacon & reserve some of the grease (about 1-2 TBS). Set bacon aside. Sautee shallots & garlic cloves gently in the bacon grease, butter, or olive oil, depending on how heavy you want your sauce. If you want some heat, add some red pepper flakes. I used dried shallots & dried garlic cloves and smashed them into about 1 TBS of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs. (Poking the yolk first makes it easy to beat them. I just use a fork to beat). In large mixing bowl, add the heavy cream, eggs, cheese, wine, ground black pepper and the nutmeg. Add the shallot/garlic liquid mix and about 1 TBS of bacon grease (again,depending how heavy you want your sauce). Whisk until blended (I just whisked with a fork). This is your sauce. You do not heat this -- the heat from the pasta will give it enough heat to cook through.
- Cook the pasta to firm -- don't overdo it! Add about 1/4 of the pasta water to the sauce. Add the pasta in scoops to the sauce and coat. Keep adding more and coating. I didn't use the whole pound of fettucini -- prolly 3/4 of a pound, as I like it saucy.
- Crumble the bacon in big chunks and stir into the pasta mix w/ fresh parsley flakes. Top with more parm, if you like, and dig in! Enjoy!