Bacon and Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
12 ozdried pasta (I use medium shells or cavatappi)
1 mediumonion, small dice
1 smalljalapeno, seeded and minced
2 clovegarlic, pressed or minced
3 Tbspall-purpose flour
3/4 cchicken broth
1/2 chalf and half or heavy cream (I use a mix)
1/4 csoftened cream cheese
8 ozbrick pepper jack, grated
·salt and pepper
How to Make Bacon and Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Set aside on a paper lined plate to cool, then chop.
- While bacon is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain. Rinse so it doesn't stick together and set aside.
- Add the butter to the bacon drippings. When the butter melts, add in the onion and jalapeno. Cook until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and cook another minute or so, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the flour to the skillet. Stir and cook just for a minute. Add in the chicken broth and half/half or cream. Bring up to a simmer, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Once sauce thickens, add in the cream cheese and pepper jack. Stir until melted.
- Add in the cooked pasta and stir to coat all the pasta. Add in the chopped bacon and stir. Adjust seasonings with the salt and pepper and serve.