Bacon and Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
- 12 oz
- dried pasta (i use medium shells or cavatappi)
- 10 slice
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 medium
- onion, small dice
- 1 small
- jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 clove
- garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 Tbsp
- 3/4 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- half and half or heavy cream (i use a mix)
- 1/4 c
- softened cream cheese
- 8 oz
- brick pepper jack, grated
- salt and pepper
How to Make Bacon and Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
- 1Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Set aside on a paper lined plate to cool, then chop.
- 2While bacon is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain. Rinse so it doesn't stick together and set aside.
- 3Add the butter to the bacon drippings. When butter melts, add in the onion and jalapeno and cook until soft.
- 4Add the minced garlic and cook another minute or so, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- 5Add the flour to the skillet. Stir and cook just for a minute and add in the chicken broth and half/half or cream. Bring up to a simmer, stirring until sauce thickens.
- 6Once sauce thickens add in the cream cheese and pepper jack and stir until melted.
- 7Add in the cooked pasta and stir to coat all the pasta. Add in the chopped bacon and stir. Adjust seasonings with the salt and pepper and serve.