American Mac and Cheese
8 ozelbow mac or other small pasta
1 Tbspunsalted butter
1 Tbspall-purpose flour
1 tspmustard powder
one 12 ozcan evaporated milk
1 1/2 cgrated mild yellow cheddar cheese
1/4 cdiced processed cheese, such as velveeta
·fresh ground black pepper
How to Make American Mac and Cheese
- bring pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk in the flour, mustard powder and cayenne and cook, whisking 1 minute. Whisk in the evaporated milk and simmer, stiring occasionally, until slightly thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheeses, then the pasta and just enough of the reserved cooking water to make a thick sauce. Season with salt and black pepper.
- VARIATION: CHILI CHIP MAC AND CHEESE
Make American Mac and Cheese, adding all of the reserved cooking water to make a loose sauce. Transfer to a buttered baking dish; top with 1 cup chili and 1/4 cup each crushed tortilla chips and grated pepper jack cheese. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- VARIATION: ROASTED PEPPER AND CHIPOTLE:
Puree 1 cup chopped roasred red peppers,
1 small chipotle in adobo sauce and 1 TBSP adobo sauce. Make American Mac and Cheese: stir in the pepper puree and 2 sliced scallions.