American Mac and Cheese
- koser salt
- 8 oz
- elbow mac or other small pasta
- 1 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- mustard powder
- one 12 oz
- can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 c
- grated mild yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c
- diced processed cheese, such as velveeta
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
How to Make American Mac and Cheese
- 1bring pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- 2Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk in the flour, mustard powder and cayenne and cook, whisking 1 minute. Whisk in the evaporated milk and simmer, stiring occasionally, until slightly thick, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the cheeses, then the pasta and just enough of the reserved cooking water to make a thick sauce. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 4VARIATION: CHILI CHIP MAC AND CHEESE
Make American Mac and Cheese, adding all of the reserved cooking water to make a loose sauce. Transfer to a buttered baking dish; top with 1 cup chili and 1/4 cup each crushed tortilla chips and grated pepper jack cheese. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- 5VARIATION: ROASTED PEPPER AND CHIPOTLE:
Puree 1 cup chopped roasred red peppers,
1 small chipotle in adobo sauce and 1 TBSP adobo sauce. Make American Mac and Cheese: stir in the pepper puree and 2 sliced scallions.