1-16 ozbox of lasagna noodles
2-32 ozjars of favorite spaghetti sauce
1 smallsw bell pepper
1 mediumonion, diced
1 lb leanground beef
2 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
2 bagsshredded mozzarella cheese or as desired
How to Make American Lasagna
- Make your sauce by cooking your ground beef, pour off grease. Chop up bell pepper & onion, brown for one minute & season with a little salt, pepper & garlic as you prefer. I also add oregano, Italian seasoning. After drained, pour in both jars of spaghetti sauce. I have used Ragu or Prego with Mushrooms, whichever is on sale. Use your judgement on how much sauce you use, as to desired consistency. Stir & simmer on medium heat. Taste & adjust seasonings.
- Meantime bring lg pot of boiling salted water to a boil, put in lasagna noodles. I usually do 3-4 layers, but make sure you boil up 15 at least. Cook 10-12 mins, remove from heat & drain.
- using a 10 x 14 inch casserole dish, begin your layers. With a ladle or spoon, put a couple of spoonfuls on bottom to guard against noodles sticking, & then put in layer of noodles, followed by a layer of meat sauce & about 6 tbsps, ( distributed inches apart), of the mushroom soup. It's too thick to drizzle but try to distribute it a little. On top of that spread a nice layer of mozza cheese.
- Repeat this 2 more times, beginning with the pasta, meat sauce, soup then the cheese. You should end up with the cheese on top.
- Set oven to 375f, and bake for one hour, or til cheese is slightly brown & edges are bubbly. It is even better warmed up the next day.