Very Simple Everyday Main Dishes, Mom's Recipes
This is a collection of Mom's simple everyday "recipes" for good home cooking. Of course, there were no written recipes for these dishes. Mom had the directions all reliably memorized and she could whip up any of thes in a snap.
How to Make Very Simple Everyday Main Dishes, Mom's Recipes
- CRUNCHY BAKED CHICKEN WITH CORNFLAKE CRUMB COATING: Beat 2 eggs until frothy. Crush 2-3 cups cornflakes to make crumbs. Using a cut up chicken or 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, dip each piece in egg and then roll in crumbs. Place in a greased 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until done.
- EVERYDAY EASY CHICKEN AND NOODLES: Boil about 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts in just enough water to cover. Cook until chicken is done adding more water as needed. Add 1 (8 ounce) package of egg noodles and cook until done. Water should barely cover noodles. When noodles are ready add 2 (10 ounces each) cans condensed mushroom soup. Do not add more water or milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. This soup is salty so take care when seasoning. Serve hot.
- SCALLOPED CHICKEN: Cook 1 pkg (6 ounces) noodles until tender but not over-cooked. Drain. Grease a baking dish. Place half of each of the following ingredients (noodles, 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken, and 2 cups chicken gravy) in dish at a time, making layers. Top with 1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs or French Fried Onion Rings. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- BAKED BEANS AND FRANKS: Mix 1 large can pork and beans with 2 tablespoons brown sugar an 1 cup catsup. Stir in 1 package hot dogs, cut in bite sized pieces. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- SAUERKRAUT AND FRANKS: In a casserole dish mix 1-2 cans sauerkraut (according to how well you like sauerkraut) with one package of cut up hot dogs. Add a little water if sauerkraut does not have enough liquid to cover bottom of pan. Cover pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- EASY TUNA CASSEROLE: Drain 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna and break up chunks with a fork. Stir in 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed mushroom soup, 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 cup crushed potato chips. Pour into greased baking dish. Sprinkle with a few more crushed potato chips and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- KID'S FAVORITE HOT DOGS WRAPPED IN BACON: Split 8 hot dogs length-wise, leaving connected at both ends and back. Place a strip of Cheddar cheese in hot dog. Wrap a slice of bacon around each hot dog and secure with toothpicks. Broil, starting with connected side of hot dog up and turning over when meat starts to cook but cheese has not melted out of hot dog. Continue broiling until top side of bacon is crisp. Serve in buns.
- SUPER SIMPLE CHILI: Brown 1 pound of ground beef and 1 large chopped onion in a Dutch Oven. Drain grease. Add 1 (approx 15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained, 1 (approx 15 ounces) Chili Beans, un-drained, 1 (apprx 28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid, 1 small can tomato paste, 2 beef bouillon cubes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add water to fill up Dutch oven to about 2 inches from top. Cook on medium heat for at least 30 minutes. I like to cook it longer so it is thicker and flavors blend more. Serve with grated Cheddar cheese and/or chopped onion on top.
- TUNA SALAD FOR SANDWICHES: Drain 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna. Stir in 3 chopped hard cooked eggs and 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion. In a separate small bowl combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, and 3 tablespoons pickle relish. If needed add enough pickle relish liquid to make a thin dressing. Mix dressing with tuna mixture and spread on toasted bread or serve in a hollowed out tomato.
- EGG SALAD FOR SANDWICHES: Hard boil 1 dozen eggs, cool, and peel. Chop eggs. In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup pickle relish, 2 tablespoons minced onions, 2 teaspoons sugar (more or less to taste), and salt and pepper to taste. Stir dressing in with chopped eggs. Serve on toasted bread or in a hollowed out tomato.
- COLA BAKED BBQ CHICKEN: Stir together 3/4 cup catsup and 1 (12 ounce) can cola beverage. Place a cut up chicken in bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan that has been lined with foil. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- HOBO DINNER: Shape 1 pound of ground beef into 4 patties. Cut 4 onions and 4 potatoes into slices. Cut 4 pieces of aluminum foil about the size of dinner plates. Place beef in center of foil. Place 1/4 of potato slices on top of each beef patty and then onion slices on poatao slices. Sprinkle with seasoned salt.Close up foil so juices will not escape. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 4.