- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 3/4 lb
- mushrooms, halved
- 4 lb
- veal stew meat, cubed
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- medium onions, chopped
- medium oranges
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb
- baby carrots, peeled
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Veal Stew with Oranges, Carrots and Mushrooms
- 1Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in 8-quart dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Add mushrooms; cook 7 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- 3Remove mushrooms and their liquid to medium bowl.
- 4In large plastic or paper bag, coat veal with flour in 2 batches, shaking off excess.
- 5Place in single layer on wax paper.
- 6Warm 2 tablespoons of the oil in same dutch oven
over medium-high heat.
- 7Add veal in batches to make sure pan is not crowded.
- 8Cook until browned on all sides.
- 9Remove to large plate.
- 10Warm remaining 1 tablespoon of oil; add onion and
cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11Meanwhile, with vegetable peeler, remove 2 strips (about 5 inches long) of peel from oranges, then squeeze 3/4 cup of juice; set aside.
- 12Reduce heat; add orange juice and broth, stirring
to scrape up brown bits.
- 13Stir in browned veal and juices, orange peel and garlic.
- 14Cover; bring to a boil.
- 15Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until veal is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 16Stir in mushrooms with their liquid and carrots;
cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- 17Add salt and pepper.
- 18Dinner Plan: Remove 1/2 of stew to microwaveproof container; cool, then freeze for later use.
- 19Serve remaining stew.
- 20(Approximate microwave times: Defrost 35 minutes; reheat 8 minutes, stirring once or twice.)