4 Tbspolive oil
3/4 lbmushrooms, halved
4 lbveal stew meat, cubed
1/3 call purpose flour
2medium onions, chopped
1 cchicken broth
3garlic cloves, minced
1 lbbaby carrots, peeled
How to Make Veal Stew with Oranges, Carrots and Mushrooms
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in 8-quart dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms; cook 7 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Remove mushrooms and their liquid to medium bowl.
- In large plastic or paper bag, coat veal with flour in 2 batches, shaking off excess.
- Place in single layer on wax paper.
- Warm 2 tablespoons of the oil in same dutch oven
over medium-high heat.
- Add veal in batches to make sure pan is not crowded.
- Cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove to large plate.
- Warm remaining 1 tablespoon of oil; add onion and
cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, with vegetable peeler, remove 2 strips (about 5 inches long) of peel from oranges, then squeeze 3/4 cup of juice; set aside.
- Reduce heat; add orange juice and broth, stirring
to scrape up brown bits.
- Stir in browned veal and juices, orange peel and garlic.
- Cover; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until veal is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mushrooms with their liquid and carrots;
cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Dinner Plan: Remove 1/2 of stew to microwaveproof container; cool, then freeze for later use.
- Serve remaining stew.
- (Approximate microwave times: Defrost 35 minutes; reheat 8 minutes, stirring once or twice.)