Uncle Sam's Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb
- ground italian sausage, sweet
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 large
- chopped onion
- celery stalks (include celery tops)
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- dried sage
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- 1 box
- stove top stuffing, cornbread (not made)
- 4-5 c
- dried sourdough bread cubes
How to Make Uncle Sam's Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
- 1In sauce pan melt 4 Tbls butter with 1-1/2 cups water. These are not listed with the ingredients listed. Set aside.
- 2In large skillet brown the sausage in the olive oil. Drain and add to large bowl. Add 2 Tbls. butter to the skillet and saute onion and celery until translucent. Stir in sage and garlic powder and cook for about a minute. Add to cooked sausage.
- 3In large bowl of sausage, onions, and celery add the Add chicken broth and package of stove top cornbread stuffing mix. Do not make the stove top (just add it dry along with the season pouch).
- 4Add additional dried sourdough bread and toss with hands. Now add the water and butter mixture that you melted. Toss again until the mixture is all mixed up and moist.
- 5Stuff as much of the mixture into the cavity and neck of the turkey or place this mixture into a buttered baking dish and cook at 375°F for 30 minutes. Remember to cover with tin foil. Also, remember that if you stuff your turkey you need to check the temperature of both the turkey and the stuffing before you eat them. If you stuff your turkey, use a meat thermometer. Bacteria can survive in stuffing that has not reached the safe temperature of 165°F. Even if the turkey itself has reached the proper internal temperature of 180°F in the innermost part of the thigh, the stuffing may not have reached a safe temperature. So, when the turkey is done and out of the oven remove all the stuffing from the bird and place in a baking dish and bake covered for about 20 minutes or until it's at 165°F. I serve it in the same dish that I baked the leftover stuffing that wouldn't fit into the bird. One side is moist...the other dry!