Twice Cooked Herbed Ducks1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
How to Make Twice Cooked Herbed Ducks
- Remove heads, feet, giblets and excess fat from ducks. Using poultry shears or strong kitchen scissors, remove tails and backbones; cut each bird in half through breastbone, then in quarters. Rinse and pat dry.
- Prick all over with the tines of a fork. Combine herbs with salt and pepper and rub all over duck pieces, pressing well into skin.
- Place quarters on a rack in a roasting pan, skin side up, and cook in a 300 oven for about 1 hour, until the fat has rendered into the pan - up to 2 or 3 cups.
- Remove from oven but leave on rack to continue dripping for about 45 minutes.
- Start a charcoal fire (a covered grill is most efficient for this) and when coals are ready and spread, place duck quarters on rack, skin side down.
- Cover grill and cook 10 minutes. Turn duck, cover grill and cook 15 minutes.
- Reverse and cook skin side up for about 5 minutes more, covered; serve immediately.