Twice Cooked Herbed Ducks1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
How to Make Twice Cooked Herbed Ducks
- 1Remove heads, feet, giblets and excess fat from ducks. Using poultry shears or strong kitchen scissors, remove tails and backbones; cut each bird in half through breastbone, then in quarters. Rinse and pat dry.
- 2Prick all over with the tines of a fork. Combine herbs with salt and pepper and rub all over duck pieces, pressing well into skin.
- 3Place quarters on a rack in a roasting pan, skin side up, and cook in a 300 oven for about 1 hour, until the fat has rendered into the pan - up to 2 or 3 cups.
- 4Remove from oven but leave on rack to continue dripping for about 45 minutes.
- 5Start a charcoal fire (a covered grill is most efficient for this) and when coals are ready and spread, place duck quarters on rack, skin side down.
- 6Cover grill and cook 10 minutes. Turn duck, cover grill and cook 15 minutes.
- 7Reverse and cook skin side up for about 5 minutes more, covered; serve immediately.