Tote and slice loaf sandwich
- 3/4 cup dried tomatoes, not oil packed
- one loaf italian or french bread, 1 pound
- one half of an 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 4 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced peppered or regular salami
- one medium fresh banana pepper or eight bottled banana peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- one half medium red onion, thinly sliced
- small salad peppers and/or pimiento stuffed green olives, optional
How to Make Tote and slice loaf sandwich
- 1put tomatoes in a small bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2Drain tomatoes and place in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Or finely chop tomatoes by hand.
- 3Split loaf in half horizontally. Remove some soft bread from the bottom half of the loaf, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell.
- 4Spread cream cheese evenly on cut sides of both bread halves. Spread the top half with dried tomatoes and the bottom half with pesto. On the bottom half layer provolone cheese, salami, banana pepper, and onion. Top with the loaf top, spread side down.
- 5To serve, slice loaf crosswise into six sandwiches. If desired, spear a salad pepper/or olive with a long toothpick; inserted toothpick through each sandwich. Makes six sandwiches