Tomato & Corn Pie w/ Buttermilk Black Pepper Crust
Recipe and photo by : My Invisible Crown
- 2 1/2 c
- all-purposed flour
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 2 stick
- super cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 3 large
- heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 tsp
- salt plus more to taste
- 1 c
- fresh or frozen corn cut from the cob
- 1 c
- asiago fresco, shredded
- 3/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped green onion
- zest from 1 lemon and juice from half
- 1/4 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped fresh basil
- sleeve ritz crackers, crushed
- 1/2 stick
- butter, melted
- 1/2 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE PIE CRUST
FOR THE PIE
How to Make Tomato & Corn Pie w/ Buttermilk Black Pepper Crust
- 1FOR THE CRUST
Pour buttermilk into a measuring cup and add ice cubes. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine flour, salt and sugar.
Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until it resembles small peas.
Pour 1/2 a cup of cold buttermilk (excluding ice cubes) into your flour mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until a rough dough begins to form adding more liquid as needed 1 teaspoon at a time.
- 2Once the dough begins to come together, remove the spatula and using your hands kneed the clumps of dough gently into a ball.
Divide the dough into 2 balls and and form into flat disks.
- 3Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or over night.
Unwrap one of the disks and sprinkle liberally with freshly cracked black pepper on both sides.
Roll out onto a floured work surface making an 11 inch circle.
Pierce the bottom several times with a fork.
- 4Transfer to a 9 inch pie plate or tin, crimp or flute the edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
Cover with parchment and fill with pie weights and bake for 10 minutes at 400.
Remove pie weights and parchment and continue baking for another 10 minutes. Cover edges with foil if they begin to brown too much.
- 5Note: This pie crust recipe makes two crusts. I half it and freeze the second one if I’m not using it immediately. I don’t add the black pepper until I’m rolling it out so don’t worry.
- 6FOR THE PIE
Place tomato slices on several sheets of paper towels in a single layer.
Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 minutes and press lightly on the tops with a paper towel to remove as much water as possible.
- 7Mix together mayonnaise, asiago, green onion, lemon juice and zest and celery seed and black pepper. Set aside.
- 8Pre-heat the oven to 350.
In the bottom of your cooled pie crust place a layer of sliced tomatoes.
Cover with half the mayo mixture.
sprinkle corn on top in an even layer and spread the remaining mayo mixture on top.
- 9Arrange a layer of tomato on top.
Cover with crushed Ritz cracker and Parmesan.
Drizzle butter all over the top and bake for 30 minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste. Serve.