1 lblamb or beef soup bones
8 oztomato sauce
·lemon juice to taste
1-1 1/2 cchili ground lamb meat
1 cup cparboiled rice
1/4 tspground cinnamon, (optional)
How to Make Stuffed Grapeleaves
- Combine all stuffing ingredients.
- If meat is very lean add 1 tbsp of melted butter to mixture.
- Remove leaves from jar, rinse & drain.
- Remove the stem carefully by snipping with fingers or kitchen scissors.
- Put one leaf in front of you. The stem side towards you and the veins should be facing up. The three points should be facing away from you.
- Place 1-2 tsp stuffing into the center of leaf.
- Fold up the bottom over stuffing, then fold the two sides over the first fold.
- Roll tightly. The rolls should be about 3" long.
- This is very important because if they are not rolled tightly enough they will come apart during cooking.
- Continue this until all grape leaves are used.
- At this point if you have leftover stuffing after rolling all the leaves you can stuff a green pepper, tomato or yellow squash. Wrap the stuffed vegetable in foil.
- Place bones in bottom of a soup pot.
- Place rolls side by side and in layers over the bones.
- At this point you would add any additional stuffed vegetable wrapped in foil to the top of the rolls.
- Cover with tomato sauce, then cover with water & sprinkle with some salt.
- Cover with something that is going to push them down. Like a smaller lid with something heavy on top of it to push down the rolls. You want the leaves to stay packed and submerged in the liquid.
- Lower the heat & simmer for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add some lemon juice to taste & cook 10 more minutes.
- To serve, drain the liquid first. While hot turn the pan upside down onto a serving platter.