SQUIRREL (OR RABBIT) BOG
Rev BJ Friley
Tip: In this recipe, various types of meat (such as chicken, venison, wild turkey or other game birds) can be used.
2squirrels (or 1 rabbit), cut up
·salt to taste
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 - 3celery ribs, chopped
·pepper to taste
1/2 - 3/4 lbsmoked venison sausage (or kielbasa)
1 cuncooked long-grain rice
How to Make SQUIRREL (OR RABBIT) BOG
- Sprinkle squirrel pieces with salt and place in Dutch oven with enough cold water to cover completely.
- Add onion, celery and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until squirrel is tender and readily seperates from the bones.
- Remove squirrel, saving broth.
- Let squirrel cool, remove meat from bones.
- Measure broth back into pot. (It is not necessary to drain onion and celery.)
- Add water if necessary to make 4 cups liquid.
- Return squirrel to pot.
- Cut smoked sausage into 1/4-inch slices.
- Add to pot along with rice; stir.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until most of broth is absorbed into rice or until rice grains are fluffy and tender.