Squirrel and Dumplings
Rev BJ Friley
This is 1 of the many recipes that I have developed over my lifetime of outdoor life.
5 - 6squirrels or 3 rabbits
4 cwater to cover meat
1 largeonion, sliced
1 ccelery with leaves, chopped
1 mediumcarrot, scraped and sliced
1/4 tspblack pepper
1/2 ccold water (for gravy)
2 csifted flour
3 tspbaking powder
1/4 cparsley, optional
1 cwater, approximately
How to Make Squirrel and Dumplings
- Directions for Squirrels: Combine meat, water, vegetables, salt and black pepper in a large kettle with tight cover.
- Cover, heat to a boil and simmer until meat is tender (about 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours).
- Remove meat from broth and pick out bones.
- Strain broth and mash vegetables through strainer into broth.
- Add water to make 5 cups.
- Return to heat and boil.
- Stir 1/2 cup cold water into 6 Tablespoons flour to make gravy, stirring constantly until gravy thickens and boils (about 1 minute).
- Season to taste.
- Directions for Dumplings: Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening until crumbly, stir in parsley and enough water to moisten flour. Dough should be soft.
- Drop dumpling batter into steaming kettle in 12 or more mounds.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
- OPTIONAL: Serve on platter with gravy seperate.