Spanikopita (Greek Spinach Pastry)
- 1 pkg
- phyllo dough (room temp)
- 1 stick
- butter (margarine or olive oil okay)
- 1 pkg
- frozen spinach 25 -30 ounce bag thawed
- 1 1/2 c
- feta cheese (rinse if packed in brine)
- 1 bunch
- parsley (flat better than curly)
- 3 Tbsp
- dill, dried
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 or 2 dash(es)
- 2 bunch
- green onions
How to Make Spanikopita (Greek Spinach Pastry)
- 1In a large bowl, beat eggs, dried dill, salt, and pepper for a minute or so.
- 2To egg mixture add in chopped green onions, and chopped parsley. Drain thawed spinach and remove all the liquid you can, then add to bowl. Mix well, I mix it up using my hand. Add in crumbled feta and mix again. Set aside.
- 3Melt butter to liquid state. With a brush (or crumpled up coffee filter) coat the bottom of a cookie sheet. Apply one sheet of phyllo. Bush the new sheet with butter and apply another until half of the phyllo is used. Spread spinach mix evenly, and cover with a sheet of phyllo. Brush on butter and repeat until all dough is used. Top layer should be heavily buttered. Phyllo dough can be tricky. I keep a well wrung out paper towel over the unused sheets. Too dry and the dough will dry out and break, too wet and it becomes gummy.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool before cutting.