4 pkg(10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, drained & squeezed dry
1/2 bunchfresh parsley, finely chopped
1 bunchgreen onions, thinly sliced
1 smallwhite onion, minced
3 clovegarlic, minced
2 cfeta cheese, crumbled
1 cshredded parmesean cheese
3eggs, + 1 egg white, beaten together
1egg yolk, beaten
1 1/2 stickbutter, melted
1 pkg(1 roll) of phyllo sheets
How to Make Spanakopita
- Put spinach in a colander and use a potato masher to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible. You want very little moisture in the spinach.
- Meanwhile saute onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp. of the melted butter.
- In a large bowl mix together spinach, pepper, onions & garlic, fresh parsley, feta and parmesean cheese and eggs. Set aside.
- lay phyllo dough out on a board and cover with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out. Layer 10 pieces of phyllo dough brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Gently spread spinach mixture over the phyllo dough.
- layer 10 pieces of phyllo dough over spinach brushing each layer with melted butter. Cut spanakopita into 8 slices before you bake it.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Brush top with a beaten egg yolk in the last five minutes of baking.
- Let stand for 15 minutes and serve.