- 4 pkg
- (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, drained & squeezed dry
- 1/2 bunch
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch
- green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small
- white onion, minced
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 c
- feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 c
- shredded parmesean cheese
- eggs, + 1 egg white, beaten together
- egg yolk, beaten
- 1 1/2 stick
- butter, melted
- 1 pkg
- (1 roll) of phyllo sheets
How to Make Spanakopita
- 1Put spinach in a colander and use a potato masher to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible. You want very little moisture in the spinach.
- 2Meanwhile saute onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp. of the melted butter.
- 3In a large bowl mix together spinach, pepper, onions & garlic, fresh parsley, feta and parmesean cheese and eggs. Set aside.
- 4lay phyllo dough out on a board and cover with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out. Layer 10 pieces of phyllo dough brushing each layer with melted butter.
- 5Gently spread spinach mixture over the phyllo dough.
- 6layer 10 pieces of phyllo dough over spinach brushing each layer with melted butter. Cut spanakopita into 8 slices before you bake it.
- 7Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Brush top with a beaten egg yolk in the last five minutes of baking.
- 8Let stand for 15 minutes and serve.