Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 large
- 1 bunch
- green onions, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 lb
- spinach, rinsed and chopped (or 2 10-oz. pkgs frozen spinach, well drained)
- 1/2 c
- chopped fresh parsley
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c
- ricotta cheese
- 2 c
- crumbled feta cheese
- sheets, phyllo dough (or more)
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 1/4 tsp
- nutmeg (i like to add 1/2 t. nutmeg)
How to Make Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a 9X9 inch square baking pan.
- 2Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, green onions and garlic until soft and lightly browned. Stir in sinach and parsley, and continue to saute until spinach is limp, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 3In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta and feta. Stir in spinach mixture. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in prepared baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with six more sheets of phyllo. (Use 8 layers on bottom, 10 layers on top)
The sheets will over lap the pan. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into pan and fold overhanging dough over filling. Brush with oil, then layer remaining 10 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each layer with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into pan to seal filling.
Cover with foil.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Take off foil, turn heat up to 375 degrees and bake 10 more minutes until golden brown.
Cut into squares and serve while hot.