Soufflé du Fromage (Cheese Soufflé)
- 3 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- whole milk
- 5 Tbsp
- grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- shredded swiss cheese
- beaten egg yolks
- egg whites
- extra paper-thin shavings of swiss cheese
How to Make Soufflé du Fromage (Cheese Soufflé)
- 1Make white sauce: Stir together butter and flour in a sauce pan over low heat until smooth and well-blended. Over medium heat, gradually stir in milk until smooth, and it just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and cool 1 minute, stirring.
- 2Stir about 2 tablespoons of the white sauce into the beaten egg yolks, to "temper" the yolks and keep them from cooking.
- 3Then, add to the white sauce, stirring well, the cheeses and beaten egg yolks. Cool mixture to room temperature.
- 4While mixture is cooling, beat the egg whites until softly stiff, but not dry. Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- 5Immediately pour entire mixture into a well-greased and lightly floured soufflé dish. This dish should be round, about 7-8" in diameter, with tall straight sides. Use shortening or butter to grease it with, and lightly dust with real flour. I haven't had much success using Baker's Joy Cake Release or similar products.
- 6Decorate the top of the soufflé with paper-thin slices of Swiss cheese cut into fancy shapes. Bake 25-30 minutes or until set. Serve immediately, before it loses its "pouf".