Simple Seasoned Aduki Beans
- 1 1/2 c
- dried aduki/adzuki beans
- 3 slice
- bacon, crisply cooked and set aside to drain (which was replaced with pancetta)
- 1 tsp
- black pepper, to taste
- salt-free garlic powder, to taste (or use fresh)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- chili powder, to taste
- fresh bay leaf
- 1-2 Tbsp
- ponzu or mirin
- more salt or soy sauce/braggs, for seasoning
How to Make Simple Seasoned Aduki Beans
- 1Soak the aduki/adzuki beans in water overnight. After they have soaked, drain them and rinse several times.
Place rinsed beans, cooked pancetta/bacon/veg bacon, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and bay leaf in the crock pot. Pour water over the beans. Cook on LOW 8-9 hours or HIGH 4-5 until tender. If I'm home all day, I set the crock pot to HIGH for about 2-3 hours then LOW until the beans are cooked.
- 2Drain and transfer beans to a serving bowl (save some of the cooking liquid to re-heat the beans the next day). Season to taste with salt, pepper, soy sauce/Braggs. Stir in about 2 tablespoons ponzu (mirin, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar will work).
- 3Serve plain or over rice or use as a filling for burritos, steamed tortillas or taco shells. Another way to serve the beans as we did would be as a rice bowl. Line a serving bowl with greens (spinach, collard, turnip greens, arugula, etc.). Add a spoonful of beans, then rice. We garnished the rice bowls with our favorite toppings: sliced grape tomatoes, fresh cilantro and diced white onion then finished with a drizzle of Quick & Easy Japanese Salad Dressing.