Simple Roasted Sweet Potato Baby Food (Stage 1/2)
How to Make Simple Roasted Sweet Potato Baby Food (Stage 1/2)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Faranheit.
- Wash potatoes and place on sheet pan.
- Bake in oven about one hour or until the potatoes are tender all the way through.
- Allow to cool.
- Peel skins from potatoes and remove any eyes or black spots.
- Place potatoes in blender or food processor or container suited for stick blender or potato masher.
- Begin pureeing potatoes.
- Slowly add water a little at a time until the potatoes reach a consistency that is suitable for your baby. Younger babies will need thinner consistencies, especially when first starting out, while older babies can handle thicker consistencies. You may not use all of the water, or may need to use a little more.
- Voila!! Delicious, fresh, roasted sweet potato for your baby!
- Maybe be stored in small containers in refrigerator for up to three days.
- For longer storage, fill ice cube trays with sweet potato and freeze. Remove trays from freezer for a few minute then pop out cubes, place in storage bags, and return to freezer. Cubes are equivalent to 1 ounce portions and will keep for three to six months, simply take out and thaw cubes as needed.
- Variations: As baby gets older and more accustomed to food, water may be replaced with other flavorful liquids such as vegetable or chicken stock and fruit juices or purees. You may also begin to add seasonings such as cinnamon, ginger, and curry powder, but do so very gradually to give baby time to adjust. Remember that you can always add more, but you can't take it out.