1butternut or acorn squash
1large metal tablespoon or serving spoon
1blender, food processor, stick blender, or potato masher
3-4ice cube trays
How to Make Simple Roasted Squash Baby Food
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Faranheit.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise so that you are cutting through the stem.
- Using spoon, scrape out seeds and stringy portion of squash near seeds.
- Place squash cut side down on baking sheet and use knife to cut small slits in the skin to allow for venting.
- Bake in oven about an hour or until squash is tender. This may take less or more than an hour depending on the size of the squash.
- Remove squash from oven and allow to cool.
- Using a spoon, scrape the squash from the skin and place in food processor or blender or container suitable for stick blender or potato masher.
- Begin to puree the squash.
- Slowly add water a little at a time until you reach the desired consistency for your baby. As a general rule, younger babies need thinner purees and older babies can handle thicker ones. You may use less or more of the water depending on the size of the squash and the consistency you want for your baby.
- To store for short term, place in small containers and put in refrigerator for up to three days.
- To store for a longer period, spoon squash into ice cube tray, place in freezer, and allow to freeze. Remove the trays from the freezer for a few minutes and release the cubes. Place the cubes in plastic storage bags and return to the freezer. The cubes are approximately 1 ounce portions and will store for 3-6 months. To use, simply remove the desired amount from the freezer.
- Variations: As the baby gets older, you can use more flavorful liquids such as chicken or vegetable stock or fruit juices for purees instead of or in combination with water. You can also add seasoning such as cinnamon, mint, or thyme. Add seasonings very little at a time and do so gradually. Even though it may not seem strong to you, your baby has a clean pallet and these new flavors may seem very strong in very small doses.