Shrimp and Grits
OPTIONAL: When I make grits, I usually add cheese, salt, and garlic powder.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
These shrimp and grits are very easy to make and big on flavor! It's very smooth with wonderful flavor (probably from the cayenne pepper). I really liked frying the grits. It gave them a bit of crunch and made for a really nice presentation.
Paula called for a pot, so I made six servings of grits and I fried them in a bit of butter (that adds to the flavor too!). The Test Kitchen
1pot grits, cooked and chilled in loaf pan
1/2chopped red bell pepper
1/2large onion, chopped
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
20large peeled shrimp
1/2clove garlic, minced
·cayenne pepper or Louisiana hot sauce, to taste
How to Make Shrimp and Grits
- Cut two slices off the loaf of chilled grits. Season with salt and pepper and pan-fry; keep warm.
- Melt butter in saute pan and cook pepper, onion, and garlic until soft.
- Whisk flour in pan with veggies. When browned, thin with chicken broth until sauce is desired thickness.
- Add shrimp to pan. Cook until shrimp are pink and done, but no longer than 3 minutes.
- Put fried grits on 2 plates and top with shrimp sauce.
- Have cayenne pepper, Louisiana hot sauce, or your favorite hot seasoning on hand for individuals to use as desired.