Shrimp and Grits
OPTIONAL: when I make grits, I usually add cheese, salt, and garlic powder.
These shrimp and grits are very easy to make, and big on flavor! It's very smooth with a bit of a sweet flavor (probably from the pepper). I really liked frying the grits. It gave them a bit of crunch and made for a really nice presentation.
Paula called for a pot, so I made six servings of grits and I fried them in a bit of butter (that adds to the flavor too!).
- pot grits, cooked and chilled in loaf pan
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped red bell pepper
- large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- chicken broth
- large peeled shrimp
- clove garlic, minced
- cayenne pepper or louisiana hot sauce to taste
How to Make Shrimp and Grits
- 1Cut two slices off the loaf of chilled grits. Season with salt and pepper and pan-fry; keep warm.
- 2Melt butter in saute pan and cook pepper, onion, and garlic until soft.
- 3Whisk flour in pan with veggies. When browned, thin with chicken broth until sauce is desired thickness.
- 4Add shrimp to pan. Cook until shrimp are pink and done, but no longer than 3 minutes.
- 5Put fried grits on 2 plates and top with shrimp sauce.
- 6Have Cayenne pepper, Louisiana Hot Sauce, or your favorite hot seasoning on hand for individuals to use as desired.