Shepard's Pie Venison Style
- 2-3 lb
- ground venison/deer
- 1 large
- onion or 2 med onions
- green bell pepper
- small amt. finely chopped celery
- worcestershire sauce
- 1 can(s)
- diced fire roasted tomatoes
- mixture of salt, pepper and garlic pwd.
- *(or other seasoning mixture intended for wild game)
- potatoes depending on size
- *the potatoes will be mashed and create a thick top layer for the dish
How to Make Shepard's Pie Venison Style
- 1Cut onion and green bell pepper into small pieces but not minced.
- 2Season ground venision well in skillet
Add onion, green pepper & celery.
There is no fat content in wild game..the vegies will add their own moisture to the skillet but Be prepared to add a bit of oil to facilitate the frying process.
Put a good brown on it for good flavor..the vegies should be soft -but don't burn them
- 3Add worcestire sauce, stir and taste. It should enhance the flavors..not overpower them
Add the fire roasted tomatoes and cook on med.heat till all vegies are fully cooked.
- 4Remove mixture with all it's juices to 9x13 dish
- 5While meat & vegies are browning..
Cube potatoes and boil till soft. Drain
Add a stick of butter and give them a rough mash. I also add a little salt & pepper to the potatoes.
- 6Top mixture in 9x13 with mashed potatoes
Top potatoes with some shred yellow cheese.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees till heated through and top has browned a bit.
Serve with a hearty bread if possible.